The Not-So-Anonymous

The Alcoholics Anonymous movement did not grow to the size of millions of men and women by the members staying anonymous. The Twelfth Step encourages members that have had a spiritual awakening to carry the message to other alcoholics. Why? Well, the Big Book of AA says that "Practical experience shows that nothing will so much insure immunity from drinking as intensive work with other alcoholics." I find that many AA'ers, NA'ers, and other 12 step members tend to fail in this area (including myself.)

My goal of this blog is to share the amazing 12th step work done by our fellow alcoholics and addicts. In doing so I hope to encourage you to "step up" your 12th step work and to inspire myself to do more.

If you have any suggestions for people that should be featured on this blog, please share them with me! Also, I welcome any posts on 12 step opportunities or ideas.



Sunday, September 12, 2010

The Smallest Twelfth Step Can Be the Biggest

This was shared with me by Martha S., an AA member.


Last month, August 7th, my husband, an AA member, went back into the hospital for several days because of more problems with his heart.
One of the fellows from Aquarius, Bill D., came over to our house the next day, the hottest day of the year at that time, and mowed our back yard, because my husband had mentioned to him that he didn't have time to do it before entering the hospital again.
To me, this is 12th step work at its finest. Edgar Watson Howe, the journalist, said "If your friend is in trouble, don't just annoy him by asking "is there anything I can do?". Think of something appropriate and do it.
My husband has been sober longer than Bill D. That makes no difference. What Bill D. did was give my husband a shot of encouragement that was sorely needed. Everyone, everyone needs someone to listen to them, and words and acts of encouragement.

No comments:

Post a Comment